Noon briefing by Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesperson for the Secretary-General.
– Central African Republic.
– Democratic Republic of the Congo.
– Democratic Republic of the Congo/UN Mission.
– Deputy Secretary-General’s Travels.
– Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping/Trip Announcement.
– Security Council/Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
– Secretary-General/Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
– Sierra Leone.
– Senior Personnel Appointment.
– Noon Briefing Guest Tomorrow.
SECRETARY-GENERAL/DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF KOREA
In a statement issued yesterday, the Secretary-General strongly condemned the launch of a ballistic missile of possible intermediate range by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) on 4 October. This was a reckless act and a violation of Security Council resolutions.
The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned that the resurgence of cholera in violence-stricken Haiti after three years without a single reported case threatens the well-being and health of 1.2 million children living in Haiti’s capital, Port-au-Prince. UNICEF notes that as the country grapples with clashes between armed groups and violent protests over price hikes, seven deaths have been reported, and five positive cases are confirmed. An additional 60 suspected cases are being investigated in the metropolitan area of Port-au-Prince.
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO
A report released today by the UN Joint Human Rights Office and the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) documented at least 3,126 cases of torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment throughout the Democratic Republic of the Congo between April 2019 and April 2022.